What we do together makes a difference.
Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is one of the nation’s leading industry-based, nonprofit AIDS fundraising and grant-making organizations. By drawing upon the talents, resources and generosity of the American theatre community, since 1988 BC/EFA has raised over $175 million for essential services for people with AIDS and other critical illnesses across the United States. BC/EFA is the major supporter of seven programs at The Actors’ Fund - including The AIDS Initiative, The Phyllis Newman Women’s Health Initiative, The Al Hirschfeld Free Health Clinic, The Dancers’ Resource and three supportive housing residences. BC/EFA also awards annual grants to over 400 AIDS and family service organizations nationwide.
What we can do to help: At the NJ State Thespian Festival, we are going to make a difference. Prior to the weekend, we are asking that each Thespian Troupe raise money for this great cause. The troupe that raises the most money will win a perpetual plaque. This is a plaque that the school can display for one year. Their name, troupe number, and winning year will be engraved on it. At next year’s festival, they will return the plaque and next year’s winner will receive it.
I want to get involved! How do I raise money?
It is easy to raise money for such a great cause. Here are some ideas:
1. A 50/50 raffle during a show or event
2. A bagel or muffin sale in the morning
3. An ice pop, pretzel, or snack sale in the afternoon
4. Host an event or show where a portion of the ticket sales goes towards BC/EFA
5. Sell paper ribbons for $1, have people sign their name, and display them in school.
6. Have each Thespian bring in an item for a basket. Raffle this basket off by selling tickets.
7. Have a flower sale during Valentine’s Day
8. Sell candy canes during the holidays
9. Sell red ribbons for $1 each during the school day or at an event or a show
10. Have a fundraising night at your local hot spot: Friendly’s, Perkins, Surf Taco, etc.
11. Conduct a bowling night, a movie night, a mini-golf night
12. Host a Denim Day at school where each faculty member pays $5 to wear jeans
What do I do with the money?
Whatever you raise will go towards BC/EFA. Bring your school’s donation with you to Thespian Festival. We will collect it at registration. During the closing ceremony we will announce which school raised the most money. You can bring cash or a check made out to “NJ Thespians”.
What do we as a Troupe get out of this?
The International Thespian Society prides itself on its community service initiatives. You get the pride of knowing that you contributed to a great theater cause. In addition to that, if your school wins, you will receive recognition at the awards ceremony on Sunday. This award will be displayed at your school for a year.
As a Thespian, how do I prepare?
Participate in this initiative as much as possible. Try everything! Go to the fellow teachers in your building and ask for donations. Visit local businesses. Ask administrators. Ask Thespian families. Get involved!
What if we try this and we only raise $20?
Who cares! Any money that your school can contribute is worth something. From the smallest dollar to a large one hundred dollars, every penny counts!
Reach out to us via the CONTACT US page if you have more questions or need fundraising ideas!